County District and Town Council functions
There is a three tier system of local government in Norfolk, the county council and the 7 district and borough councils. Generally, the county council is responsible for the more strategic functions and services such as education and social care whereas the districts and boroughs provide more local services. Some functions are shared between county and district.
Please scroll down the page for more information.
County Council’s responsibilities
- Birth, marriage and death registration
- Highways – including on-street parking, traffic management, and street lighting
- Recreation, arts and museums
- Social care
- Strategic planning
- Trading standards
- Waste disposal
Customer Services No 03448008020
District and Borough Council’s responsibilities
- Collection of council tax and non-domestic rates
- Environmental health
- Leisure centres
- Local plans and planning applications
- Public conveniences
- Waste collection
Customer Services 01508 533633
Parish and Town Council’s responsibilities
Norfolk also has a number of Parish & Town Councils. They have differing responsibilities. Wymondham Town Council has responsibility for:
- Allotment site at Chapel Lane
- Cemetery on Cemetery Lane
- Friday & Farmers Markets
- Town Council owned recreational areas.
- War memorial.
- Consultees on planning matters.
- Market Cross – Tourist Information Centre.
- ‘About Wymondham’ newsletter.
Town Council 01953 603302